Dominicans residing in Guadeloupe have confirmed that a 47-year-old woman of Grand Bay died, reportedly from smoke inhalation, when her house went up in flames in the French island last Week.
Léonceta Grégoire, also known as Yoneta, died in the Fond Richer area of Baie Mahault.
Her neighbor, another Dominican whose home is separated by a concrete wall, told Dominica News Online that she first saw smoke in her own house and upon investigation realized it was coming from the victim’s.
“I saw smoke coming into my home; when I looked I saw it was coming from Yoneta’s house. I ran out and saw the flames inside,” she explained.
She said she began screaming for someone to call the police but no one heard.
“I tried to open the front door, but it was locked on the inside. I called her and could hear her saying ‘aye, aye, aye’ as if she was trying to make her way to the door, and then I didn’t hear anything again,” the neighbor recounted.
When firemen arrived Yoneta was found dead inside the house but her body showed no signs of being burnt.
Authorities think the blaze was probably started by a candle since the house had no electricity, however investigations are ongoing.
The victim, who lived alone, leaves to mourn two children, one of whom resides in Guadeloupe.
Copyright 2012 Dominica News Online, DURAVISION INC. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.