While students around the country are preparing to head back to the classrooms next week students of the North east Comprehensive school (NECS) may just be in for an extended summer break.
That’s because parents of students of the NECS are considering protest action after claims that the Ministry of Education failed to address a major problem at the school.
Since November 2011 the Ministry of Education made several promises to undertake repair works at the institution the parents say but to date, no significant work has been done.
Just last week Education Minister Peter St Jean told Dominica News Online that windows had been ordered from a Barbados company and assured those concerned that repairs would commence before the start of the new school year.
However, with a few days left before school reopens parents are beginning to react, claiming that the situation at the school has actually worsened.
“I went to the school on Monday to make my eyes boil my peas and what I saw there is unbelievable, I saw those classrooms like swimming pools, windows hanging, windows down on the ground as if it was an abandoned school,” one disgruntled parent told Dominica News Online. “This is very rough and I don’t think I will be sending my kids to school next week, not under these conditions, how can children even learn in that environment, the wing linking the classrooms to the staffroom is still uncovered.”
Meanwhile Dominica News Online understands that education officials have called an emergency meeting at the school to discuss the way forward for NECS.
All attempts to get a response from education officials on the matter proved futile.
Copyright 2012 Dominica News Online, DURAVISION INC. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.