PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, Friday August 19, 2011 – More than three years after being charged with raping a teenager, a 30-year-old man was yesterday relieved of the burden of facing a trial when his alleged victim told the court that they were now married and had a child.

Wayne Sahadath was allowed to go free after the disclosure was made to Chief Magistrate Marcia Ayers-Caesar.

The alleged victim, who is now 17 years old, told the magistrate that not only were she and Sahadath married, but they had a three-year-old daughter.

Sahadath had been arrested and charged with the rape in March 2008 and had been on bail awaiting trial.