The Ministry of Health and Environment wishes to inform the Public of an outbreak of Acute Respiratory Infections (Flu) in Dominica occurring at this time.Tothis date, the Ministry canconfirm that there are three (3) different types of virus circulating in Dominica. They are the Parainfluenza type 2 virus, the Rhino virus and the Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV). Some persons are presenting with the mild flu and others with severe flu like form of the flu. :
|Symptoms of Mild Flu||Symptoms of Severe Flu|
|Running nose||High fever|
|Low grade fever||Difficulty breathing|
|Loss of appetite||Generalized body pain|
|Feeling tired||Chest pain|
The Ministry advises the public to remain alert and protect themselves from getting the flu.
Here are some of the things you can do to protect yourself and others from getting the Flu:-
- Wash your hands with soap and water more now than usual;
- If soap and water are not available, use hand sanitizers and rub your hands together very hard for a minute of more;
- Avoid shaking hands and kissing;
- Cover your mouth with a tissue when coughing;
- Cover your nose with tissue when sneezing;
- Throw away soiled tissue in a garbage bin after single use;
- Avoid touching your face if your hands are dirty, because cold and flu viruses enter your body through the eyes, nose and mouth;
- If you are sick, stay away from crowds, young children and very elderly persons
- Drink a lot of fluids: Juice, water, coconut water and soups;
In order to control the spread of this flu, everyone must take the necessary steps to protect his/herself, your families and the public.
Persons with the severe symptoms of the Flu are asked to visit their Health Centre or doctor.
Children under five(5) years and persons suffering from Diabetes, Heart Problems, Asthma, HIV/AIDS, and Cancer or taking Steroid Medications are at risk of developing complications from the flu and should contact their health care provider as soon as possible if they become ill with the flu..
The Ministry informs the public that the FLU vaccine is available at all health facilities for people most at risk for developing complications to the flu.This vaccine when taken will prevent people from becoming ill with the flu.