The Ministry of Health and Environment wishes to inform the general public that there are increased cases of Acute Respiratory Illness (FLU) on the island.
The Ministry has confirmed various Influenza strains: Human Metapneumovirus (HMPV), Adenovirus (adeno) , Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV), Rhinovirus (among children) and H1N1 (among adults mostly ) circulating in Dominica at this time.
As a result the Ministry has heightened its Public Health Response including its Public Education campaign. All Health Districts have stepped up surveillance and management of Flu -like illness.
The Ministry would like the public to remain alert and protect themselves from getting the Flu. The symptoms may be present in two different ways:
|Mild Flu||Severe Flu|
|Running nose||High fever|
|Low grade fever||Difficulty breathing|
|Loss of appetite||Generalized body pain|
|Feeling tired||Chest pain|
Here are some of the things one can do to protect themselves and others from getting the Flu:-
- Wash hands with soap and water more now than usual;
- If soap and water are not available, use hand sanitizers and rub hands together very hard for a minute of more;
- Avoid shaking hands and kissing;
- Cover mouth with a tissue when coughing;
- Cover nose with tissue when sneezing;
- Throw away soiled tissue in a garbage bin after single use;
- Avoid touching your face if your hands are not clean because cold and flu viruses enter your body through the eyes, nose and mouth;
- If you are sick, stay away from crowds, young children and very elderly persons
- Drink a lot of fluids: Juice, Water, Coconut water and soups;
In order to prevent any further spread of this flu, everyone must take the necessary steps to protect themselves, their families and the general public. The Ministry seeks the cooperation of the public in following the advice given.
Persons with the serious signs of the Flu are asked to visit their health center or doctor.
The Ministry strongly advises persons suffering from Diabetes, Heart Problems, Asthma, HIV/AIDS, and Cancer or taking Steroid Medications should contact their health care provider as soon as possible if they become affected by the Flu.