CRIME STOPPERS DOMINICA provides a confidential crime reporting service that gives everyone the opportunity to report about any type of crime including cases of domestic violence by calling 1800 8477 (TIPS) or by submitting a tip online at crimestoppersdominica.org.
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE can be perpetrated against anyone regardless of age, gender, sexual orientation, social class or religion; however, statistics show that domestic violence is mostly perpetrated against women. It refers to the victimization of an individual by an abuser who seeks to gain power and control over the victim. There are many forms of DOMESTIC VIOLENCE which can be physical, psychological, or emotional verbal, economic or sexual in nature – ALL of which constitute crime.
HOW CAN I TELL IF A PERSON I KNOW IS EXPERIENCING ABUSE?
Here are some signposts to domestic abuse:
- Physical Violenceincludes pushing, slapping, hitting, kicking, biting, locking you out of the house, throwing objects at you, abandoning you in dangerous places and refusing to help when you are pregnant, injured or sick. The victim may attempt to conceal physical injuries with makeup.
- Psychological or emotional violence includes bullying, harassment, isolation, ridiculing, intimidation, controlling who a person can associate with or what they can wear and joking about their sexuality.
- Verbal abuse involves yelling, name-calling, criticizing, laying blame, humiliating you, and teasing you about things you are sensitive about.
- In the case of financial abuse, the abuser restricts the victim’s access to finances to pay for necessities. Withholding your paychecks or your own funds, refusing to pay child support or depleting accounts are forms of financial violence.
- Sexual Violence includes all sexual activities that are forced upon someone without their consent. This includes verbal or physical contact of a sexual nature and rape, commercial sexual exploitation and the trafficking of women, girls or boys.
Because of the above, in some cases, the abused becomes reclusive, socially awkward and visibly nervous especially in the company of the abuser.
HELP STOP DOMESTIC ABUSE:
Do you have information about a domestic abuse situation or have concerns regarding a victim of domestic abuse but are worried about being identified if you speak out? Crime Stoppers Dominica (CSD) makes it easier for you to break the silence around domestic abuse.
CONTACTING CRIME STOPPERS DOMINICA:
To anonymously report cases of domestic abuse, call Crime Stoppers Dominica at 1800 8477 (TIPS) toll free or submit a tip online at crimestoppersdominica.org. The call centre is located outside of Dominica and agents are available 24/7 to take reports.
Your information will be dealt with sensitively, and then put into a report. The report is then transmitted to the relevant police who takes appropriate action.
- You will never be asked what your name is or where you live
- You will always remain anonymous. No one will know you called
- Crime Stoppers’ guarantee of anonymity has never been broken
- Your call cannot be traced and is never recorded
- Crime Stoppers is NOT the police
- You will NOT be asked to visit a police station, make a statement or go to court
- In you choose to submit a tip online, your electronic device’s IP address is protected
WHY REPORT IT?
Reporting cases of abuse is crucial to mitigate the damages and side effects imposed by domestic violence situations.
Reporting abuse simply means that an organization is informed of the ongoing turmoil present in a relationship so that the abused can get help to remedy their unfortunate situation.