Information and communication systems administrator
Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons for the position of Information and Communication Systems Administrator, Health Information Unit, Ministry of Health on a contractual basis.
Under the guidance of with the National Epidemiologist and in close collaboration with the GoCD Information and Communications Technology Unit (ICTU), the Systems Administrator will be responsible for developing and managing the ICT programme for the Ministry of Health. The Systems Administrator will be concerned primarily with the technical aspects of ICT projects, advise on ICT investment decisions, particularly issues pertaining to ICT infrastructure as well as train staff members in the use of ICT systems within the Ministry of Health.
The Systems Administrator will be responsible for the configuration, implementation, and maintenance of various technologies managed by the Ministry of Health. This person will focus on the administration of the network infrastructure to include desktop PC’s, servers, network equipment, and software applications. The Systems Administrator will assess and identify appropriate solutions to be integrated into the Ministry of Health’s systems operation and make recommendations for implementation.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the supervision of the National Epidemiologist, the Information and Communications Systems Administrator:
- Executes System Administration responsibilities;
- Manages the day-to-day operation of the Health Information Unit to ensure its smooth functioning;
- Manages data collection, data processing and the generation of computerized information for decision making;
- Designs and implements Information and Communication System for Health (ICSH) to ensure ready access as well as efficient and effective use of health-related data;
- Provides training in basic computer operations, data processing and in the use of selected software packages to facilitate the maintenance of the computerized information system in the Ministry of Health;
- Performs related duties for the smooth operations of the Health Information Unit.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of various types of computer hardware and peripheral equipment
- Consideration knowledge of network data communications and computer system diagnostic aids and tools and the ability to isolate and resolve hardware and software problems
- Full competence in the in the use of Windows operating systems including Windows NT/2000 server and Microsoft Office
- Working knowledge of Linux and Unix O/S
- Experience in configuring network systems, routers, switches, network interface cards, hubs, storage devices, printers and other networking hardware
- Knowledge of network security management, access and authentication, data integrity, business recovery, operating environment requirements and physical security
- Knowledge of communication standards (including video-conferencing) and limitations
- Ability to express oneself clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships at all levels of the organization
- Working knowledge of problem analysis, troubleshooting and repair skills
- Ability to effectively supervise staff
- Ability to organize and conduct training sessions
- Ability to give technical advice
B.Sc. degree in Computer Science, Information Systems Management or equivalent and two (2) years of job-related experience with demonstrated competence.
Applications with Curriculum Vitae and copies of all relevant certificates and the names of two (2) referees should be addressed to:
The Permanent Secretary
Ministry of Health
Telephone: 1 767 266 3260 or 3259
Fax: 1 767 448 6086
Public Officers must apply through their Head of Department
The closing date for receipt of applications is Friday 24th October, 2014.
Only candidates who are shortlisted will be acknowledged.