The National Bank of Dominica Ltd. is a leading indigenous bank in the Eastern Caribbean Currency Union. We are seeking an individual with the relevant capabilities to assume the position of Legal Officer.
The Legal Officer provides strong support to the Bank’s General Counsel in the effective and efficient administration of the Legal Unit. The Legal Officer is responsible for providing high quality legal advice and opinions and drafting legal documents including contracts in relation to the Bank’s business. This role represents a great opportunity to grow within and contribute to a dynamic, challenging, and professional environment.
SPECIFIC ACCOUNTABILITIES include:
- Provide legal advice to the Bank in the execution of its duties to ensure compliance with relevant legislations and regulations
- Provide legal opinions on operational matters
- Draft and finalise agreements, contracts, and other legal documents to ensure the Bank’s full legal rights
- Review contracts or any other documentation as assigned and assess legal implications that need to be brought to Management’s attention
- Prepare, review, and modify contractual instruments to assist and support various business activities
- Assist the Bank’s management team in developing, implementing, monitoring, and improving systems and procedures that will safeguard the legal integrity of the Bank
- Formulate and execute capacity building for the Bank’s stakeholders including employees by properly interpreting laws, regulations, and policies that are materially beneficial to their areas of work/interest
- Provide legal protection and risk management advice to Management especially on contract management
- Review and advise on legal implications on internal policies and procedures
- Formulate, review, and implement policies and procedures to assist the Bank in the mitigation of various enterprise risks.
- Assist General Counsel and Management in negotiations with external parties, such as vendors, consultants, employees ‘unions, auditors, or regulators
- Assist General Counsel in the management of the Bank’s work that is handled by external counsel
- Prepare monthly and other periodic reports of the department for Executive Management and Board of Directors’ meetings
- Remain up-to-date and well-researched on laws, regulations, and cases related to the industry and related sectors and advise the Bank on how to comply with emerging requirements
- Adhere to Regulatory Compliance, Anti Money Laundering/Anti-Terrorist Financing and Bank policies and procedures for all products, services, and transactions
- Provide all such other administrative and other duties as directed by General Counsel
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor of Laws Degree from a recognized University and a Legal Education Certificate (LEC). A Master of Laws Degree in Commercial or Banking Law will be an asset.
- A minimum of three (3) years working experience in a similar position at a law firm or in a banking environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with laws dealing with commercial/contract administration and labour laws
REQUIRED SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- In depth knowledge of conveyancing and probate law
- Good knowledge and understanding of corporate law and related procedures
- Working knowledge of the lending process and collateral administration
- Working knowledge of employment law
- Computer literate and familiar with Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent written and verbal communication, and presentation,
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiating skills
- High degree of professional ethics, integrity, and accountability and confidentiality
- Sound judgment and ability to analyze situations and information
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Detailed oriented, good organizational, prioritization and time-management skills
- Strong analytical, risk assessment skills and problem solving.
- Creative and innovative with a passion for service excellence.
- Ability to work long and sometimes irregular hours.
A competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with qualifications and experience, will be offered to the selected candidate. Please email your resume and cover letter in confidence by 26 September 2022, to the attention of Mr. Kareem Bertrand at firstname.lastname@example.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.