Bahamas minister wants over 200 missing Bahamians from Hurricane Dorian declared dead

Months after Hurricane Dorian swept through the Bahamas causing damage estimated at US$3.4 billion, Health Minister, Dr Duane Sands, says the time has come for the country to acknowledge that more than 200 people lost their lives as a result of the Category 5 storm.

At the end of November last year, the official death toll was put at 70 with 282 people missing.

But Sands told The Tribune newspaper that the relevant authorities will have to make a decision to confirm that more than 200 people died as a result of the storm that lashed the archipelago on September 1, 2019.

“At some point, the government of The Bahamas will have to declare that over 200 people have died in Hurricane Dorian but I cannot officially say that as that is a multi-ministerial decision.

“We have to do our due diligence and meet to decide. We want to move all of the outstanding matters to an agreed consensus or conclusion. We want to bring some closure. Again, we have not walked this road before,” Sands told the newspaper.

The storm caused widespread damage mainly in Abaco and Grand Bahama, with officials indicating that the death tolls in those two areas were 60 and 10 respectively.

A multi-agency meeting with the Ministries of Health, Legal Affairs, National Security, the Office of the Attorney General and other agencies was scheduled for Thursday but has since been moved to next week.

“You would have heard me say that we would invite the International Red Cross to provide a safe space for persons who may not be willing to come forward to identify loved ones. And so that invitation and that request has already been made, the logistics of how that happens is very important.

“Then it’s the whole issue of how long we are going to keep remains in refrigerated coolers particularly in Abaco. We need to identify a place for interment. We need to agree on a type of grid that would be set up and how we would reference remains,” Sands said.

Disclaimer: The comments on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of DominicaNewsOnline.com/Duravision Inc. All comments are approved by DominicaNewsOnline.com before they are posted. We never censor based on political or ideological points of view, but we do try to maintain a sensible balance between free speech and responsible moderating.

We will delete comments that:

  • violate or infringe the rights of any person, are defamatory or harassing or include personal attacks
  • are abusive, profane or offensive
  • contain material which violates or encourages others to violate any applicable law
  • promote hatred of any kind
  • refer to people arrested or charged with a crime as though they had been found guilty
  • contain links to "chain letters", pornographic or obscene movies or graphic images
  • are excessively long and off-message

See our full comment/user policy/agreement.

2 Comments

  1. Annon
    January 10, 2020

    DA never did come out with an accurate death toll for Maria.

  2. DAPossieMasse
    January 10, 2020

    While many Haitian brothers and sisters are not some of nicest people emanating from the Caribbean, at the same time the manner in which they were treated by the Bahamian government and people is just unbelievably despicable and disrespectful. When people are suffering, you reach out to them and not call for their killings.

    And what the heck with these negro quasi British subjects black like the Nubians from the blackest tribes in Africa, yet they want to act like they are so special… and of well if a Jamaican or lesser than Dominican, as a child in the Bahamas, the child is not a Bahamian until?

    Crap, pure crap coming from these wickedness in the hearts of these wicked politicians.

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

:) :-D :wink: :( 8-O :lol: :-| :cry: 8) :-? :-P :-x :?: :oops: :twisted: :mrgreen: more »

 characters available