The trial of a Castle Bruce man who has been charged with murder, which was set to begin today (Wednesday), has been pushed back after the attorney in the matter stepped down.
Just yesterday (Tuesday) Peter Alleyne had requested that Justice Errol Thomas recuse himself from the trial at the request of his client, Daniel Elton Bannis.
Alleyne had told the court that he received certain information from the lawyer, who previously handled the matter, and his client that Thomas had made certain remarks during a bail application which is considered bias towards his client.
Based on that, Alleyne requested that Thomas remove himself from the trial.
Thomas, baffled and surprised, asked when such comments were made by him and Alleyne said he was told so by Bannis’ previous lawyer.
Director of Public Prosecution, Evelina Baptiste, then asked that evidence and information on the comments be brought forth but none came.
The Judge then ruled that in the absence of such information, he was not going to recuse himself.
Alleyne then stepped down from the case.
Witnesses were called into the court and told that the matter was not going to begin and the court apologized.
It is now set for later in the Criminal Session as Bannis attempts to get a new lawyer.
Bannis is charged with the murder of 74-year-old Julius Joseph, better known as Edictor, also of Castle Bruce.
Joseph was found dead on the public road a short distance from the Castle Bruce secondary school on May 14, 2013.