One in custody in death of man set ablaze

Daisy died at the PMH on  Sunday
Daisy died at the PMH on Sunday

One person is in custody as police intensify investigations into the death of a man who was set ablaze in February.

Police PRO, ASP Claude Weekes said the person is assisting in the investigations but no charges have been laid.

He said in a live interview on state-owned DBS Radio on Wednesday morning that crime is serious and grotesque one and the police will do everything within their powers “to ensure that we investigate it as professionally as possible…”

He stated that the “high level investigation” is being led by an “award winning Assistant Superintendent.”

“We believe that with the evidence that we are gathering and as we continue to solicit the cooperation of the public that perhaps we can bring some closure to this,” he noted.

Davidson Daisy, 46, formerly of Silver Lake, was set ablaze on February 7 while he slept on a mattress in a run-down building next to the Seventh Day Adventist Church in Pottersville.

The incident took place at 9:00 am in full view of several eyewitnesses.

Daisy, also known as ‘Baby,’ taken to the Princess Margaret Hospital with severe burns all over his body and he died on Sunday, March 22.

DNO was informed that the matter has to do with a $30 drug transaction went sour.

Weekes is appealing to the public for assistance in the matter.

“I am sure somebody or a group of persons, someone may have seen something, they have heard something and as we said it is not because it is a paro, indigent, unfortunate, marginalized in the society, we must keep our mouths shut,” he stated. “We have the responsibility as police and as public to ensure that each and everyone of us is protected…”

Disclaimer: The comments on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of Inc. All comments are approved by before they are posted. We never censor based on political or ideological points of view, but we do try to maintain a sensible balance between free speech and responsible moderating.

We will delete comments that:

  • violate or infringe the rights of any person, are defamatory or harassing or include personal attacks
  • are abusive, profane or offensive
  • contain material which violates or encourages others to violate any applicable law
  • promote hatred of any kind
  • refer to people arrested or charged with a crime as though they had been found guilty
  • contain links to "chain letters", pornographic or obscene movies or graphic images
  • are excessively long and off-message

See our full comment/user policy/agreement.


  1. Concerned Dominican
    March 26, 2015

    The culprit should have been arrested for having injured the man in the way that he did and taken to court for it, and sentenced accordingly!! Now he should be facing further charges as a result of the death of this victim due to his injuries!!! Nonsense!!! NO EXCUSE!!!! The police are failing in their responsibilities to public safety and accountability!!! Period!!!!

  2. The Facts
    March 25, 2015

    I assume that the one who is now in custody is one of the perpetrators being interrogated.
    I can understand that during an investigation the police authorities are not privy to making a public statement until the investigation is completed and the perpetrator(s) are brought to justice and thereafter. May it be soon.
    Whenever I look at the picture of the poor, suffering man lying on the bed, my heart hurts that a fellow man or men could have done something as that to another one. To see the man was sleeping and he (they) did that to him? Whether he was sleeping or not, I state, My God! What heartlessness! Your justice will prevail. May it be so in the Dominica Court of Law.

  3. Patriotic B
    March 25, 2015

    He was set ablaze on Feb 7 and this is attempted murder at the minimum. It’s been a month and a half and why hasn’t the police found the person or persons responsible?

  4. out of south city
    March 25, 2015

    Would there be any investigation if he did not die? Why wait so long to investigate the matter? I just don’t understand.

  5. cassida
    March 25, 2015

    investigations after death. silly police. shame!

  6. mine
    March 25, 2015

    I hope who is reponsible for this act they send him away for a long long time. I hope the system don’t burn him a second time.

  7. March 25, 2015

    I am totally disappointed with the police and their slow response in this matter. Is it because the deceased was a vagrant? Life is life. Though he was a vagrant hw will go the same depth as the president or the PM when they die. A man set ablaze while sleeping is a straight forward case of attempted murder. The police should now be upgrading the charge against an accused and not now calling on the public for information. Charges should have long been laid against the person who committed the act.. A crime was committed since in February when the man was set ablaze now now that he has passed away. So had he not died the police would do nothing about the act? That’s poor and unbelievable actions or lack there of by the police. Please officers don’t let it happen again. When the vagrant died the police should be looking for the accused who committed the act to upgrade the charge to murder and not now seeking evidence to charge. Award winning ASP? Investigating after the fact?

  8. Disgusted Dominican
    March 25, 2015

    I am in total disgust and disbelief to see that it had to take this poor man’s death for police to do an investigation. What is this country coming to? Like really? He was human being just like us, it does not matter whether he was homeless, the point is he deserved equal treatment. This man was set on fire…isn’t that a gruesome enough crime to arrest this maniac that have no place in society? Why wasn’t there an investigation in the beginning or an arrest? Clearly there were witnesses based on the report …. Didn’t anyone talk or report him? If that is the case, they are just as evil as the person who committed the crime. It appears people lack compassion nowadays.

    Karma is a B%^[email protected] The perpetrator will get what he deserves. The clock is ticking!

    My heart breaks for this man and his family. RIP, at least you are no longer suffering.

  9. Thor
    March 25, 2015

    What I don’t understand is: did the investigation only begin after the man died?
    Since it is a fact there were several eye witnesses, why wasn’t an arrest made after the man was burned?

    What was the police waiting for to lay aggravated assault charges against the perpetrator?

    There is something about this that seems odd to me.

  10. derp
    March 25, 2015

    if they find the culprit, he should be given the death penalty…

  11. Its my damn business
    March 25, 2015

    I am happy they have someone in custody? However, I am still concerned that someone was only arrested after the death of Davidson. My question still remains, when was the CRIME committed; Was it on Feb. 07, 2015, when the man was set on fire alive or March 22nd, 2015 when he died? Am I to believe that if Davison had not died, a criminal would once again go free, like the one involving Mr & Mrs. GON Emmanuel? While I give them some kudos here I must say that the manner in which this matter was handled by the police is very unfortunate and in a true country the commissioner would either tender his resignation or be fired. As for the PRO, inspector Weeks, he too needs to stop making excuses for the police on the radio like he did this morning, because he knows very well that if anyone had even got close to touching the PM (that I don’t encourage), or anyone of them, they would have been arrested and charged the same day. A paro is still a man Christ died for

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

:) :-D :wink: :( 8-O :lol: :-| :cry: 8) :-? :-P :-x :?: :oops: :twisted: :mrgreen: more »

 characters available