Over 40 runners participated in a Dominica Amateur Athletics Association (DAAA) road race series held in Marigot on the weekend.
Participants in the race included athletes from the Pioneers Athletics Club (PAC), Dominica Grammar School (DGS) Aspires Athletics Club and the Wesmar Rangers Athletics Club. According to organizers of the event the overall participation was less than expected.
The two-kilometer road race started run started with the under 11, 13, and 15 boys and girls who ran from Weires Flat to end at the same location. The event was won by Norton Vidal of the DGS Under-15 boys and Cherese Rossi of the PCSS girls Under-15.
The five-kilometer race, which started about 4:50pm from Londondery, saw runners start at Weires, continued pass the Melvill Hall Airport to proceed to the end at Weires Flat.
MacNaguirre Suares, the top middle and long distance runner in Dominica, led the race from start to finish and was followed in second by Samson Barreau. Both are members of PAC.
These were the overall winners in the 5KM race:
1. Chelsey Linton – Wesmar – 26min 07.1sec
2. Shamia Lamar– PAC – 26min 44.0sec
3. Cutie Frank – Wesmar – 32.min 36.0sec
1. Mac Naguirre Suares – PAC – 18min 50.5sec
2. Samson Barreau – PAC – 19min 43.9sec
3. Dayn Alexander – Aspires – 19min 51.8sec
The 2KM section overall positions went to the following individuals:
1. Cherese Rossi – PCSS – 8min 10.6sec
2. Alia Shillingford – Wesmar Rangers – 8min 53.1sec
3. Michaella Nation – DGS – 10min 25.8sec
1. Norton Vidal – DGS – 8min 10.6sec
2. Eustace Phillip – DGS– 8min 42.8sec
3. Jaiden Laurent – DGS – 9min 07.5sec
The final race is carded for Sunday the 11th November 2012 in Grand Bay where champions will be decided for the DAAA 5km road series.