The Dominica Chess Federation has officially left the island to embark on the Journey to Chennai India, where they will be participating in the 44th Chess Olympiad.
This is a first-of-its-kind Journey, where Dominica for the first time will compete amongst over 200 countries around the world, and against some of the brightest and most creative minds in the exciting sport of chess.
The 44th Chess Olympiad in Chennai, India, set to start on July 29, will be the most prominent chess gathering of the year. One hundred and eighty-nine teams have registered for the Open and 162 for the Women’s section.
The Dominican team comprises:
- The current president of the DCF, and the National Chess Champion, Mr. Nigel K. Francis, known for his vast knowledge and wisdom of the game, as well as unique foresight in strategic maneuvers. He will be playing on Board 1.
- Veteran Chess Master Robert Bridet (pronouncedBri-day) who is known for his masterful plays and strategies, will play on Board 2.
- Vice President of the DCF, and Medical Doctor, Dr. Lyndon Auguiste, who is known as an attacking specialist, with a unique defence style that only he can produce, will be playing on Board 3.
- College lecturer, and mathematical mind, Mr. Larry Thomas is known for his tactical genius and endgame brilliance, a skill that is critical in a game where every piece holds victory or defeat. Mr. Thomas is one of the best finishers in the game and will be playing on Board 4.
- Dominica’s Third place National Champion, Mr. Brandon Henry is known for his mental stamina and focus that is second to none. in a game of mental fitness and strategy, Mr. Henry is known for his cool and steady game play, which leaves little to no room for error, making him a solid fit for the Olympiad. He will be playing on Board 5.
- Representing Dominica in the FIDE Congressional realm of the game, as a Delegate, is the Current General Secretary of the DCF Mr. Daniel Scotland.
- Completing the team is Chess Captain/Trainer, Mr. Sohan Phadke , an Indian National with over 20 years of experience in the Game and Chess Master with over six years of coaching at the highest level.
The Dominica Chess Federation is looking to make its home soil proud at this year’s Olympiad, as they make their way to open new doors for the sport in Dominica, all in accordance with their mission to ensure that the youth and next generation can have positive avenues to create a better future for themselves, as well as break the taboos surrounding the sport, proving that anyone—no matter their age or sex—can not only play the game of chess, but also excel.
The Dominica Chess Federation will provide game results and updates as they happen, and persons can also follow the matches, and ratings via the official website, https://chessolympiad.fide.com/