Dominica’s works minister Rayburn Blackmoore says he is serious about a fourteen-day ultimatum given to the contractor building the section of the airport road from Melville Hall to Pond Case, to speed up the process of construction to ensure that the June 2012 date for completion of the project is met.
Blackmoore indicated earlier that he was dissatisfied with the pace of the work on that project.
He told Dominica News Online on Thursday that progress on “Lot 2”, as the road in question is dubbed, was moving at a snail’s pace and that was just not good enough.
“We are not satisfied with the manner in which the project is executed on the ground,” the minister said.
He referred specifically to “the management of the site, and the pace at which the work is executed”.
The contractors – French company , Emile Gaddarkhan Et Fils – have been told that they are expected to meet the revised completion date of June 2012.
Blackmoore expects that by March 15 (in a week’s time) the contractors will have shown that they took the ultimatum seriously and have stepped up their game.
Responding to whether the sabre-rattling the government was engaging in on that matter would really amount to punitive action if the contractors failed to deliver, the
Works Minister countered that the administration was well within its rights to give the contractors timelines that it expected them to meet.
“In the event that we have to exercise the option of termination, we would ensure that all the systems are put in place to ensure that the project in itself goes on and actually is completed within the specific period of time,” Blackmoore said.
That assertion appears to be a clear indication that the government is prepared to move against the contractors if they fail to deliver in a timely manner.