Work to continue on Newtown, Sineku Primary Schools

Workmen on site of the Newtown Primary School
Workmen on site of the Newtown Primary School

After a brief hiccup, work has resumed on the Newtown Primary School, improvement work on the Sineku Primary School is said to be high on the agenda and students are expected to be back at that institution for the new school year.

Minister for Education Petter Saint Jean, made the disclosure at a press conference held on Friday at the Windsor Park Sports Stadium.

He said the work continues on the Newtown Primary School.

“I should advise that we had some technical difficulties that have been addressed,” he said. “And as I speak work continues on the Newtown Primary school. Of course since we had some technical difficulties there would have been a break, a slight break in works but we do not expect any major changes as it relates to the delivery date of the school plant.”

The Education Minister also noted that the project will be completed within an 18-month time frame, beginning from the commencement date.

The $6-million school is a gift from the government of China.

Saint Jean also said the problem-plagued Sineku Primary School is high on the ministry of education’s agenda.

“As with the case with all of the schools, we will be doing maintenance work, Sineku is high on the cards and it is one of the schools that we have given serious consideration,” he told DNO when asked about the matter. “A contract has been signed for the works of Sineku and we will see works being done in preparation for the new school year. The students will be back at school from the 8th of September.”

When asked whether the students in that school will be comfortable, Saint Jean said, “we will not house any child in Dominica if the building is not safe, secure and comfortable.”

He did not give the exact amount of funds that will be spent nor exactly what will be done, but noted that a “considerable amount” will be spent since there are many areas that need attention.

In May parents of students attending that school held protest action in the form of withholding students from classes due to a series of break-ins, vandalism and other problems that have been plaguing that institution.

Officials from the Ministry of Education gave the assurance that their problems will be addressed.

Disclaimer: The comments on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of DominicaNewsOnline.com/Duravision Inc. All comments are approved by DominicaNewsOnline.com before they are posted. We never censor based on political or ideological points of view, but we do try to maintain a sensible balance between free speech and responsible moderating.

We will delete comments that:

  • violate or infringe the rights of any person, are defamatory or harassing or include personal attacks
  • are abusive, profane or offensive
  • contain material which violates or encourages others to violate any applicable law
  • promote hatred of any kind
  • refer to people arrested or charged with a crime as though they had been found guilty
  • contain links to "chain letters", pornographic or obscene movies or graphic images
  • are excessively long and off-message

See our full comment/user policy/agreement.

8 Comments

  1. concerned
    August 19, 2014

    Look at the wheel barrow and you will have no doubt who is in charge on this project!!!!

  2. FAKERS
    August 19, 2014

    You should nrever have experienced hiccups in the first place, you all had all the money, you rushed to start the project just to spite Joshua Francis. I always knew this was a fake, searching for money while the project is going on. These people too darn dishonest, when they finish they call everybody else dishonest

  3. John Paull
    August 19, 2014

    The reason the Seneku school has all these problems it is because it appears that the funds that were given to build it were diverted and the contractors did a lousy job and the claims of the value spent on the school is grossly exaggerated, borbol I say borbol!

  4. August 19, 2014

    Waypapa election coming.

  5. Anonymous
    August 19, 2014

    Joshua Francis must be credited for every work Ambrose and Skerrit do in Roseau South. Both men failed Roseau South so bad, Is only when Joshua appeared on the scene, Mr. George started to do something…

  6. ??????????????????
    August 18, 2014

    Good job Joshua Francis MY PARL REP IN WAITING, for forcing this lazy, government to do something in Newtown. GOOD JOB INDEED!

    • ^
      August 18, 2014

      @??????????? Joshua Francis is also my Parl Rep of choice. (I live in Castle Comfort). I will NEVER votet Ambruise Pwen Couwee. My vote is for Joshua Francis. SUREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

  7. August 18, 2014

    :lol: je suis bien contente que tout sa ranger cher vous bon courage a bientôt

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

:) :-D :wink: :( 8-O :lol: :-| :cry: 8) :-? :-P :-x :?: :oops: :twisted: :mrgreen: more »

 characters available