The community of Boetica stages its second annual Glassie Festival. The event which was first organized last year on July 3rd to 5th, will take place over a three-day period from Friday July 1st and will end on Sunday July 3.
The objective of staging this event include:
1. To provide a signature event that links to and preserves the historic background and at the same time creating an income generating opportunity for the community
2. To educate residents of their history and cultural heritage his Bay was once used as the main area for trading during the slave trade years, and as the main fishing entry port for local fishermen during the early 70’s to the late 80’s.
3. To promote the Glassie Trail as part of Dominica’s Tourism Product for both our locals, visitors, prospective hikers and adventure seekers. Presently Glassie is among the top ten attraction sites in Dominica
4. To promote physical activity as part of the “wellness package”
5. To expose villagers to community tourism as a means of generating revenue
6. To expose the talent of present and upcoming artistes of the community.
A number of activities have been organized for the three day event and will include a
1. History Night and Punch Party on Friday July 1t
2. A Hike to Glassie on Saturday uly 2, 2016, with a rock fishing competition, followed by a Wet Fete sponsored by Kubuli Chebe Sa’w and a Grand Dance with the First Serenade Band alongside ASA BAN TON and the Virtural Band from Grand Fond
3. A Eucharistic Celebration on Sunday July 3rd, 2016 followed by Live Entertainment from the Joseph Brothers, a local band from the Community and Bouncing Castle for the children, the day will end with a Grand Calypso Show featuring 8times Calypso Monach King Dice, Lugas, Tasha P, Hunter, Peter Pros, Vigilante, White Ferry, Scrunter, and more.
The feature of the calypso Show will be the awarding of 8time Calypso Monarch King Dice by the community, for his outstanding contribution to the Calypso Art form. King Dice is a son of the soil.
Glassie Fest is organized by the Glassie Festival Committee in Collaboration with the Boetica Village Council.
Sponsors of the event include Hon. Peter St Jean, Kubuli Che’be Sa’w, The Sign Man, DR. Damien Dublin, Lama of SSMR, the Fisheries Division, Belfast Estate, Rosalie Bay Resort , Fine Foods Inc. Pirates Ltd, Zp Boutique, and Boeticans living abroad.