Dominica promotes WCMF in Antigua and Barbuda

A scene from a past WCMF

Even though Dominica is still rebuilding from Hurricane Maria, the organizers of the Dominica Festivals Commission believe the staging of the World Creole Music Festival (WCMF) will be successful this year.

In fact, the annual three-day event, which will be staged between October 26-28th, is being promoted around the Caribbean and a delegation is presently in Antigua and Barbuda.

Acting Festival and Events Manager at the Dominica Festival Committee, Marva Williams, said following Maria last September, the Festivals Commission was not even certain whether there would be the staging of the event.

“There was a little bit of confusion because the country was in the worse condition ever, even worse than what Hurricane David did,” he stated.

But she said after discussion, the Festivals Commission decided that the Dominican culture was rich enough to rise above any disaster.

“This year will be bigger and better…it is forty years of independence this year and we should celebrate that,” she said.

Williams said the fact that the World Creole Music Festival could survive for twenty years, “it means we have to hold on to it.”

Meantime Festivals promoter Leroy “Wadico” Charles said Dominicans are simply thankful for life and will be celebrating life at this year’s festival.

“Many people did not make it after Hurricane Maria. For those who are alive, we are just giving thanks through our festival because we didn’t have to be here,” he said.

Some of the top international acts for this year’s festival include Kess the Band, Chronixx, Movado and Machel Montano.

The local line up includes the Midnight Groovers, Signal Band, Asa Banton, Carlene XP and Michele Henderson.

Copyright 2012 Dominica News Online, DURAVISION INC. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.

Disclaimer: The comments on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of DominicaNewsOnline.com/Duravision Inc. All comments are approved by DominicaNewsOnline.com before they are posted. We never censor based on political or ideological points of view, but we do try to maintain a sensible balance between free speech and responsible moderating.

We will delete comments that:

  • violate or infringe the rights of any person, are defamatory or harassing or include personal attacks
  • a reasonable person would consider abusive or profane
  • contain material which violates or encourages others to violate any applicable law
  • promote hatred of any kind
  • refer to people arrested or charged with a crime as though they had been found guilty
  • contain links to "chain letters", pornographic or obscene movies or graphic images
  • are excessively long and off-topic

See our full comment/user policy/agreement.

5 Comments

  1. August 23, 2018

    Keep your backyard party out of Wadadli and use the money to payback Ross student for their rental deposit.

  2. Sisserou
    August 22, 2018

    What!! No first serenade??

  3. Tur Durt Tur Durt
    August 22, 2018

    So what type of marketing and promotion was done please?

  4. hmm
    August 22, 2018

    Those are all regional artists though, not international…

  5. dominicansatheart
    August 22, 2018

    Why is this news?

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

:) :-D :wink: :( 8-O :lol: :-| :cry: 8) :-? :-P :-x :?: :oops: :twisted: :mrgreen: more »

 characters available