Experts predict near normal to below normal hurricane season

hurricaneExperts are predicting a “near normal to below normal” 2014 Atlantic Hurricane season, but according to Acting Senior Meteorological Officer at the Dominica Meteorological Service Marshall Alexander, this does not mean guards should be let down.

The hurricane season officially begins on Sunday June 1 and will run till November 30.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) predicts there is as a 50 percent chance of a below-normal season, 40 percent chance near-normal and a 10 percent chance of an above normal season.

“This forecast should not be an excuse to let our guards down because even a quiet hurricane season can be devastating,” Alexander said. “Regardless of what the hurricane forecast says, history shows us that even in years when El Nino was dominant and below average seasons where forecasted, there were major hurricanes formed which caused devastation and loss of lives.”

The Acting Senior Metrological Officer also pointed out that Dominica must be reminded that its vulnerability is based on the fact that it is located in the middle of the main development region (MDR) for hurricanes, most of its population is located on the coast and it is vulnerable to hazards such as storm surge, flooding, landslides and strong winds.

“Just want to again stress that preparation is key regardless of seasonal predictions, we must prepare for the worst and pray for the best and response is the key to warnings issued. Residents should ensure that they know what to do if a watch or warning is issued by the Dominica Meteorological Service,” Alexander stated.

He also pointed out that the December 24 2013 trough system as well as the Pond Case rainfall event, that claimed the lives of two men in April, fell outside the hurricane season.

The following are the names for 2014 Atlantic Hurricane Season.


Copyright 2012 Dominica News Online, DURAVISION INC. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or distributed.

Disclaimer: The comments posted do not necessarily reflect the views of and its parent company or any individual staff member. All comments are posted subject to approval by We never censor based on political or ideological points of view, but we do try to maintain a sensible balance between free speech and responsible moderating.

We will delete comments that:

  • contain any material which violates or infringes the rights of any person, are defamatory or harassing or are purely ad hominem attacks
  • a reasonable person would consider abusive or profane
  • contain material which violates or encourages others to violate any applicable law
  • promote prejudice or prejudicial hatred of any kind
  • refer to people arrested or charged with a crime as though they had been found guilty
  • contain links to "chain letters", pornographic or obscene movies or graphic images
  • are off-topic and/or excessively long

See our full comment/user policy/agreement.


  1. lol
    May 30, 2014

    becarefull 767

  2. Pondera
    May 30, 2014

    Lord of the Nations, have mercy on us.

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

:) :-D :wink: :( 8-O :lol: :-| :cry: 8) :-? :-P :-x :?: :oops: :twisted: :mrgreen: more »

 characters available