Government has reinstated the process of issuing visas to Haitian nationals visiting Dominica, Minister of Justice, Immigration and National Security, Rayburn Blackmoore has announced.
However, there will be certain rules and regulations in place.
No more than 25 visas will be issued per month, only one application per applicant, a reduction in processing time and a reduction in the unscrupulous use of the program are among some of the new regulations, he said in a statement on Tuesday.
Approximately one year ago government placed a stay on the issuing of visas to Haitians in order to deal with issues within the system that needed to be addressed.
In August 2015, Blackmoore said a new system was being formulated.
On Tuesday, he said the stay was put in place to strengthen the system of issuing visas.
“This decision to put a stay on the issuance of visas to Haitian nationals had to be taken in order to strengthen this state instrument; consequently, a new structure has been put in place within the administrative section in the ministry for processing all visas..,” he said. “I want to implicate that a quota system will also be initiated per month, that is to say not more than 25 visas per month, except in exceptional cases.”
Among the exceptional cases are for students accepted at Ross University and members of the clergy.
Meantime he outlined application process and measures for the issuance of visas to Haitian national under government’s new system.
This new arrangement will provide for:
1. Reduce processing time
2. A more just application for review process
3. A reduction in the unscrupulous use of this programme
4. The restoration of key policy values of justice and good governance.
Blackmoore pointed out that Haitians interested in visa applications can find forms at the government website: www.dominica.gov.dm.
He mentioned further that one application will be accepted per applicant, however, there are some exceptions.
The exceptions are:
1. A family class
2. A team or club with proper sponsors
3. Justices of the peace can only swear to six applications per month
4. Formal proof that the host or sponsor has funds
5. If no invitation proof of funds to sustain yourself must be provided
6. Sponsors must complete a separate form indicating among other things the name of the applicant and this form must not be sent in by the applicant.
7. Applicants must post completed applications with all the requirements
8. No walk-in application will be allowed except in special cases
Blackmoore said everything will be done to ensure that there is transparency and there is, “no abuse to this very important state instrument.”