After years of waiting, residents of the Community Hostel’s Inc. (CHI), also known as the Grotto Home for the Homeless will finally move into their new location at Bellevue Rawle.
That information was revealed by Public Relations Officer (PRO) of the Grotto Home, Parry Bellot, at a press conference on Wednesday.
“We finally have a date, we are making all arrangements to move all our residents in the last weekend of May, before the Hurricane season, 25th, 26th, 27th,” he stated. “And the idea is to mobilize a lot of assistance from people and organizations that can help.”
He continued, “We are committed to that weekend.”
He said that the Red Cross, Ambulance Service, the police as well as the social services departments will be informed of the move.
Bellot said although he is not the “boss man” at the Grotto Home, he is going to make the move take place.
“We’ve always had maybe good reasons why we delayed the move or it couldn’t happen,” he stated. “I wasn’t boss man then and I am still not the boss man at the Grotto but in this project I am and I am going to make sure it happens, no matter what.”
According to Bellot, there are going to be some financial cost involved, “and we are getting some benefactors to assist.”
“Our former President (Ainsworth Irish), he didn’t really leave the post, he just walked away because he was getting a lot of pressure from the people who have been giving him money for the Grotto saying, when are you moving? But because that wasn’t happening, he was not getting the support from the other board members, he just took a sabbatical,” Bellot explained.
He made it clear that Irish will be back on the team.
Meantime, he expressed disappointment in the management of the funds received for the Grotto Home.
“I have never been happy with the accountability of the money we are getting and where it is going,” Bellot remarked. “Clearly that has to do with the management of the books, the treasurer and things like that. I personally have never been happy with that.”
He went on to say, “If we ask anybody how much this thing has cost, I don’t think anybody will give you a figure.”
Bellot also stated that a $2 million project, like the new Grotto Home, requires a manager.
In November 2015, then Grotto Home President Ainsworth Irish announced that the facility will move into its new location before Christmas.
The facility which was initially expected to consist of 5 apartments/dormitories at a cost of $ 2.7 million was reduced to two apartments/dormitories at a cost of $900,000.
The Grotto is a non-profit organization that was set up to cater to persons that are less fortunate and destitute in the society.
The organization relies totally on donations from corporate citizens and members of the general public alike, as well as overseas donors to be able to meet its commitment to the residents.
Construction works started at the new site at Bellevue Rawle in 2008.
It can accommodate 60 persons, however, it presently houses 30 residents.
Disclaimer: The comments on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of DominicaNewsOnline.com/Duravision Inc. All comments are approved by DominicaNewsOnline.com before they are posted. We never censor based on political or ideological points of view, but we do try to maintain a sensible balance between free speech and responsible moderating.
We will delete comments that:
See our full comment/user policy/agreement.
I really hope this project is still going
Good! ..where are the Hurricane Shutters????. Hope you all have water tanks. Generator in case lights go. But good. Hope we will see pics of the inside
Waited 12 years for this building. I was expecting a whole selv relient village with sports, medical and training facilitied
I remember how excited was the town when Grotto Home first opened its door. But I haven’t heard anything for years since then! Moi is right, speak more, reach out to people, post on social media. You have the support, just ask for help.
Great move. Finally!
I will just refere to you as soft drinks,the grotto home was the last of the people to use there, and the Green Grotto was the first to move onto this spot in the early 1970’s as a dance hall by the Swing Stars. Were you around to have fun there or did you hear what others said? So don’t blame the the Grotto Home as the ones who tore it up.
Why does not the government appoint a new board and a manager? Clearly, the present management is weak.
Great job. we got to take care of the older ones as well
Ok excellent news. NOW! after the grotto home for the homeless moves, I HOPE!!!!! for God’s sake that the powers that be, be it the grotto directors, government whoever, please return the prestigious Dominica tennis and sports club to how it looked before you moved there. That place was a lovely property used by young and old with respect for the facility. It was also a popular night club in the 90’s and early 2000’s. Now it is a complete dump. a shameful dump.
That property is privately owned, so why not buy it and develop it to the standard you want. Put your money where your mouth is or remain silent.
typical dominican response. I am not surprised by you Anon. And if i dont have the means to buy and repair i have no right to say anything? That is why the country is the way it is now, because people like you want other to stay quiet in a corner and not speak up on matter that affect society. This place was a community facility. One that brought value to the lives of the people who enjoyed tennis, squash, billiards (pools), darts etc. It hosted OECS tournaments is THE ONLY TENNIS COURT IN ROSEAU. Clearly you were never around in its highlight when it was used for exactly what it was designed for. Also you fail to realize that whenever a property is rented and destroyed, there are cases where the TENANT may be charged for repair.
What do the grotto people need other than money? Clothes, food donations, sheets, furniture or ….? If you don’t tell you won’t get… Please use this as an opportunity to publicise this…