PRESS RELEASE: In the year 1990, a number of concerned citizens met to explore the state of affairs of Cancer in Dominica. After a series of meetings it was decided that “A Crusade against Cancer” should be launched.
According to Mrs. Valentine Tonge, the Dominica Cancer society was formed in 1990, and registered as a Non-Government Society, on the April 18, 1991.
The two main objectives undertaken were as follows:
1. To educate the general public on aspects of Cancer relating to early detection and how it can contribute to make it more livable for those affected with the disease.
2. To establish Support Groups for Cancer Survivors, Families, and Friends. Today, plans are well on its way to observe the 20TH. Anniversary of the Dominica Cancer Society Inc. A Non- denominational Candlelight Service is carded for Sunday, 13 June, 2010. This will be held at the Roseau Cathedral. This will be preceded by a march from Dame Eugenia Boulevard.
The Dominica Cancer Society Inc. is also hoping to publish an Anniversary Magazine to coincide with the occasion.
Some of the highlights will be:
1. Who were the pioneers?
2. Cancer in Dominica then and now.
3. 45 men succumbed to Prostate Cancer in 2008.
4. Free Screening Campaign in the health districts in Dominica.
The anniversary’s theme is “Light of Compassion, Forgiveness, Healing & Hope.”
Anyone who has been touched by Cancer, or knows someone who has been touched by cancer is invited to light a compassionate prayer candle.
For more information contact the D/ca Cancer Society: (767) 4496580, 2752708, 4498593, or 448 2401 Ext 3469/3470/3162, or your Health Centre or doctor.
– Dominica Cancer Society