Chikungunya epidemic declared officially over in Dominica

The Ades Egypti mosquito is the main carrier of the Chikungunya virus
The Ades Egypti mosquito is the main carrier of the Chikungunya virus

The Ministry of Health and Environment (MoH) has declared the chikungunya epidemic officially over in Dominica as of January 23rd, 2015.

The first confirmed reported case of the disease was in January 2014 from an individual who travelled from the French Island of St. Martin.

The MoH’s declaration is based on World Health Organization recommendations that the end of a disease outbreak in a country can be declared over once two maximum incubation periods have passed and no new cases have been detected.

“The incubation period for chikungunya ranges from 1 – 12 days,” the MoH said. “The last clinically diagnosed case of CHIKV in Dominica was on December 28, 2014 (onset of symptoms). Since then 42 days (as of February 9), which is more than twice the maximum incubation period (i.e. 24 days), have passed without a new case of chikungunya being detected in the country.”

The disease had tremendous impact on Dominica with 3,764 cases reported across the island and 173 cases confirmed by laboratory testing.

One hundred and eleven persons were hospitalized during the epidemic.

“The Ministry of Health and Environment takes this opportunity to thank the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA), the Pan American Health Agency (PAHO), Dr Durland Fish of Yale University, National Pest and Termite, the Ministries of Finance, Tourism and Education, the Adult Education Department, Dominica Air and Sea Port Authority-DASPA, the Dominica Hotel Association, the business communities, the Media ,the staff of the Ministry of Health and the people of Dominica for their cooperation in successfully bringing the situation to an end,” the MoH said.

Disclaimer: The comments on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of DominicaNewsOnline.com/Duravision Inc. All comments are approved by DominicaNewsOnline.com before they are posted. We never censor based on political or ideological points of view, but we do try to maintain a sensible balance between free speech and responsible moderating.

We will delete comments that:

  • violate or infringe the rights of any person, are defamatory or harassing or include personal attacks
  • a reasonable person would consider abusive or profane
  • contain material which violates or encourages others to violate any applicable law
  • promote hatred of any kind
  • refer to people arrested or charged with a crime as though they had been found guilty
  • contain links to "chain letters", pornographic or obscene movies or graphic images
  • are excessively long and off-topic

See our full comment/user policy/agreement.

6 Comments

  1. Flora
    February 28, 2015

    So the mosquitos decided on a cease fire? I don’t believe for one minute that this virus was transmitted by mosquitos.

  2. anonymous2
    February 26, 2015

    Everything is a cycle. In….and…..out….and then something else.

  3. Purple
    February 26, 2015

    chicken gone?..yah :lol:

  4. Pedro
    February 26, 2015

    Its good news but not liable to last for long. We need to congratulate everyone for their efforts. Lets assume there is not a single active case of the virus on the island. It only takes one infected person to visit. And there is no way to prevent that coming in. It took one infected case in St Maarten and the whole Caribbean got infected. Sow while we celebrate, we still need to be on guard and conduct healthy practices, particularly to minimize breeding!

  5. nonda
    February 26, 2015

    Yea because everyone got it and is now immune lol

  6. Cyrique
    February 26, 2015

    Brilliant news! God bless DOMINICA !!

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

:) :-D :wink: :( 8-O :lol: :-| :cry: 8) :-? :-P :-x :?: :oops: :twisted: :mrgreen: more »

 characters available