The Ministry of Health wishes to inform the general Public of an outbreak of Acute Respiratory Infections (Flu) in Dominica at this time.
The Ministry would like you to remain alert and protect yourself from getting the Flu.
The symptoms may present in two different ways:
|Mild Flu||Severe Flu|
|Running nose||High fever|
|Low grade fever||Difficulty breathing|
|Loss of appetite||Generalized body pain|
|Feeling tired||Chest pain|
Here are some of the things you can do to protect yourself and others from getting the Flu:-
• Wash your hands with soap and water more now than usual;
• If soap and water are not available, use hand sanitizers and rub your hands together very hard for a minute of more;
• Avoid shaking hands and kissing;
• Cover your mouth with a tissue when coughing;
• Cover your nose with tissue when sneezing;
• Throw away soiled tissue in a garbage bin after single use;
• Avoid touching your face if your hands are not clean because cold and flu viruses enter your body through the eyes, nose and mouth;
• If you are sick, stay away from crowds, young children and very elderly persons
• Drink a lot of fluids: Juice, Water, Coconut water and soups;
In order to prevent any further spread of this flu, everyone must take the necessary steps to protect yourselves, your families and the general public. The Ministry seeks the cooperation of the public in following the advice given.
Persons with the serious signs of the Flu are asked to visit their health center or doctor. However, most persons only suffer with mild symptoms and may not need to visit their doctor or health center.
We recommend that persons suffering from Diabetes, Heart Problems, Asthma, HIV/AIDS, and Cancer or taking Steroid Medications should contact your health care provider as soon as possible if you become affected by the Flu.
The Ministry informs the public that the FLU vaccine is available at all health facilities and when taken will prevent people from becoming ill with the flu.