Four more cases of the dreaded Zika Virus have been confirmed in Dominica.
The island reported its first case of the virus last month.
“It is five now,” Chief Environmental Health Officer, Anthony Scotland said during an interview on state-owned DBS Radio on Wednesday.
He stated the emphasis now has to be on prevention.
“To prevent mosquito bites, to prevent mosquitoes being around you…” he noted.
He warned that persons should avoid creating sources where mosquitoes are able to increase their population.
“It’s an ongoing constant work, it has to become part of us in terms of we understanding the mosquito biology and how to manage it,” he stated. “I see it as becoming part of our lives right now.”
The Zika virus is transmitted by the bite of an infected Aedes Aegypti mosquito, the same mosquito that transmits Chikungunya and Dengue.
Symptoms that include fever, joint and muscle pain, conjunctivitis, headache, weakness, rash and swelling of the lower limbs.
In Dominica, a Health Risk Management Task Force has been activated to review and refine management strategies and guidelines that have been shaping the Health Ministry’s response to the disease.
Additionally, fogging activities have been initiated in areas of high Aedes Aegypti mosquito infestation across the island.
When the first case of the virus was announced last month, Health Minister Dr. Kenneth Darroux said there was no need for alarm.