The Ministry of Health wishes to inform the public of an increase in the reported cases of gastroenteritis.
Gastroenteritis is a condition that causes irritation and inflammation of the stomach and intestines. It is caused by eating foods or drinking water which is contaminated by a bacteria or virus.
Lack of or improper hand washing, especially after using the toilet or handling of dirty diapers can cause the spread of Gastro Enteritis from one person to another.
Symptoms of gastroenteritis are:
– Abdominal pain
– Upset stomach
– Stomach cramps
Gastroenteritis can be prevented by following these simple steps:
– Always wash hands with soap and water after using the toilet, changing diapers, and before handling or preparing food
– If no water is available clean hands with an alcohol based hand sanitizer
– Keep foods at the correct temperature ( cold foods should be kept cold and hot foods kept hot)
– If you or a family member has symptoms of Gastroenteritis:
– Drinks lots of Water or fluids
– Give children Oral Rehydration fluids as directed by your health care provider
This condition is preventable and can be easily treated. However to avoid complications of Gastroenteritis seek medical care if symptoms continue or get worse.
Please take a small amount of stool i na clean wide screwcap container to your health center or doctor.
REMEMBER YOUR HEALTH IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY!
For more information contact the Health Information Unit (Dr. Ahmed) 266 2150 / 266 3458 or the Health Promotion Unit at 2663469/3470.