ASK THE US CONSUL: Traveling to the US for medical treatment

I want to travel to the United States for medical treatment.  What do I need to do?

Receiving medical treatment is a permissible activity on a regular tourist (B-1/B-2) visa.  If you want to travel to the United States for medical treatment and don’t already have a visa, you must schedule an interview appointment by visiting U.S. Embassy Bridgetown’s website:

On the off chance that no appointment is available prior to the date the applicant must travel you can either: send an email to; send a fax to (246) 431-0179: or call the Nonimmigrant Visa (NIV) unit at (246) 227-4000 (Monday-Friday 3:00 to 4:00 p.m.) to request an emergency appointment.  Please include your full name, date of birth, proof of your medical appointment, and the date and time you wish to have your appointment.

In addition to the documents required of all B-1/B-2 applicants, we strongly recommend that applicants whose purpose of travel is to seek medical treatment bring the following documents/information to the visa interview:

· Detailed information (issued by a hospital or the attending physician in your home country) concerning the nature of the illness or disability that requires medical treatment

·Evidence that a medical appointment has been scheduled in the United States

· Documentation from the U.S. hospital or physician concerning the projected cost of the medical treatment in the United States

· Documentation concerning how the medical treatment will be paid for

· A letter from your attending physician explaining why the proposed medical treatment is unavailable in your home country (if applicable)

Please remember that simply demonstrating that the medical treatment is necessary is insufficient to qualify for a visa; the applicant must also overcome the presumption of immigrant intent outlined in Section 214(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

More information is available as “Frequently Asked Questions” on the U.S. State Department’s web page:

Additional information on the visa application process is available on U.S. Embassy Bridgetown’s website at

Disclaimer: The comments on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of Inc. All comments are approved by before they are posted. We never censor based on political or ideological points of view, but we do try to maintain a sensible balance between free speech and responsible moderating.

We will delete comments that:

  • violate or infringe the rights of any person, are defamatory or harassing or include personal attacks
  • a reasonable person would consider abusive or profane
  • contain material which violates or encourages others to violate any applicable law
  • promote hatred of any kind
  • refer to people arrested or charged with a crime as though they had been found guilty
  • contain links to "chain letters", pornographic or obscene movies or graphic images
  • are excessively long and off-topic

See our full comment/user policy/agreement.


  1. only
    October 24, 2011

    How ridiculous that you have to prove all of this stuff to them ahead of time. They should just issue a 2 week visa and be done with it and the traveler can apply for a justified extension if necessary. They should also have the necessary funds which may present another problem.

    • We the People
      October 25, 2011

      It’s their country, they can ask for as many documents as they like. You can always go to another country if you don’t like their rules.

  2. traveller
    October 24, 2011

    tell the Us go to Limbo. All the way to Cuba who cares about the US?

    • October 24, 2011

      Surprise surprise surprise their are those who still want to go to the USA regardless of the comments made by Skerrit and of cause those who think like you

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

:) :-D :wink: :( 8-O :lol: :-| :cry: 8) :-? :-P :-x :?: :oops: :twisted: :mrgreen: more »

 characters available