No decision has been made regarding WCMF 2020 says Piper

Director of Tourism and CEO of Discover Dominica Authority (DDA), Colin Piper has announced that no decision has been made thus far for the staging of the 2020 World Creole Music Festival (WCMF).

He made the announcement during an interview on State-Owned Radio DBS.

This year, several festivals celebrated around the region and the world, have been cancelled due to the Covid-19 Pandemic.

“Well the decision will be taken in a series of stages…,” Piper said. “Will the borders open and when will the borders open? What will the protocols be for mass gatherings? What will the protocols be for physical distancing?”

He continued, “All these sorts of things. What will the protocol be for staying at not only paid accommodations but a lot of people come and stay with friends?”

Piper said there are a number of decisions that need to be considered and then taken in a sequence process, “and then it will lead us to an eventual decision as to what we are going to do with the World Creole Music Festival or any other mass gatherings that would have been planned.”

According to him, there would have been a number of village feasts that would have been happening through the summer and those too are obviously being impacted.

The DDA CEO commented on to statements made by some members of the public who said this year’s WCMF should be cancelled.

“People are entitled to their opinion and we appreciate it, we take that into consideration and we will consult with the health officials and others who are in the position to advise the DDA based on that,” Piper stated. “Certainly the voice of the people is always something that is taken into consideration so we appreciate them making those comments and those statements.”

Disclaimer: The comments on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of DominicaNewsOnline.com/Duravision Inc. All comments are approved by DominicaNewsOnline.com before they are posted. We never censor based on political or ideological points of view, but we do try to maintain a sensible balance between free speech and responsible moderating.

We will delete comments that:

  • violate or infringe the rights of any person, are defamatory or harassing or include personal attacks
  • are abusive, profane or offensive
  • contain material which violates or encourages others to violate any applicable law
  • promote hatred of any kind
  • refer to people arrested or charged with a crime as though they had been found guilty
  • contain links to "chain letters", pornographic or obscene movies or graphic images
  • are excessively long and off-message

See our full comment/user policy/agreement.

15 Comments

  1. School Boy
    May 22, 2020

    The Corona Virus is going to be around for a while. This is man’s doing, and the self destruction will continue globally. It is written in the Bible and one of the end time plagues manufactured by one of the none believers in God. Yes the Chinese, most of them, do not believe in God. Their plan is to destroy the world’s economy in order to take over…But just remember God is stronger. My advice is to cancel the 2020 WCMF. In any case the people coming in for the WCMF have to be quarantined for 14 days, won’t day? And at whose cost? Just asking.

  2. May 22, 2020

    Give me a break Collin,it really shows that you guys are not thinking, thoughts come to your mind,but you are not thinking. This should be no brainer, the festival should be canceled.
    First and foremost, we will still have social distancing in place because of the virus,according to the experts,people are still nervous about traveling,imagine sitting on that LIAT and you have a man coughing ” Coo hoom ,coo hoom ” all the way to Dominica.
    Come on Collin,think, don’t just allow thoughts to come to your head.
    Probably a lack of foresight or judgment on your part,but again you are part of the cabal,what can I say.
    Total incompetence, what a tragedy Dominica has on its hands.

  3. My name
    May 21, 2020

    Mr Piper u want to let bands come from overseas???. Please cancel this now also all Independence activities . Safety is better

    • Toto
      May 22, 2020

      Is not him my boy. Dont you understand, is El Supremo that run things in Dominica. Piper just doing as he is told if he does not want to lose his job. The man may have a big mortgage you know.

  4. iprotest
    May 21, 2020

    I hear suggestions about having a virtual event.
    Bear in mind that route will not cut down it for people with no access to internet….. our vendors and bars will be surely left out for Digicel and lime to benefit

    • Possie Gang
      May 22, 2020

      I’m sure Skerrit would buy his supporter each a virtual rum and a portion of virtual chicken wings. To top it all, these supporter would come on here next day and tell us how nice it tasted.

    • Me
      May 22, 2020

      You don’t mean a virus event, do you?

  5. dissident
    May 21, 2020

    De harsh realities of the economic effects of covid-19 on Dominica economy. Piper find that pill to difficult to swallow. Can you imagine the amount of money that turns around during this event?
    Even our shops, stores and bars.
    Piper sounds like he waiting to see what Skerrit will put in de budget for him……he needs to be real and face de ” new normal” realities

  6. A voice
    May 21, 2020

    Why is anyone even asking, while we in this quagmire? Best to direct energies towards carnival in case al goes well, remember 20% of the economy is remittances, hopefully our people overseas who are experiencing the highest rate of unemployment ever will have jobs by then. Just be patient.

  7. Pipo
    May 21, 2020

    Colin be sensible man. I know is not you decision but here we have the PM begging Dominicans overseas to help out Dominica finances by making donations because we’re in dire straits and yet you want to go ahead with such a costly bonanza that doesn’t bring any profit for the country as a whole. That really does not feel right somehow and would stick in my throat. I wonder what the IMF would think of that.

  8. May 20, 2020

    CANCEL PLEASE !

    • Carlyna
      May 20, 2020

      The only decision that can be made right now is to cancel. In October covid will still be around even though Dominica is covid free. Give this year a break from mass gatherings. Without a second thought, church services were cancelled and for fete and parties, there must be stages to be considered or whatever.
      Hmmmm.

  9. Bob Denis
    May 20, 2020

    What are the benefits derived from this CARNAL oriented WCMF? the Gov’t have been subsidizing this FEEL GOOD get together from its inception, some say that NEPOTISM seems to be the only beneficiary. Instead of this DRUNKEN base FETE, why not an INVENTION Caribbean FEST? this is the time to showcase the young MINDS of the Islands, not DRINKING and EATING all the DEAD FOODS while making FOOLS of themselves. We have vast numbers of Dominicans at home and DIASPORA asking for the DOING away of this TRASHY FEST. It also seems that Carnaval 2021 is a NO NO, direct from the DEVINE FORCES.

  10. DC
    May 20, 2020

    I really don’t see this event taking place. What’s the hold up in announcing the cancellation? COVID cases are increasing on Islands such as Haiti and Jamaica, not to mention US and UK. The event involves the gathering of large crowd, bands on stage with more than 10 members. There is no way this can be held this year. DFC, there are times tough decisions have to be made but this is no brainer. Stop procrastinating! The Festival must be canceled this year!

    • Tout Bagai Online
      May 21, 2020

      They are probably planning to have it online like the Triple Kay Fete Quarantine :mrgreen:

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

:) :-D :wink: :( 8-O :lol: :-| :cry: 8) :-? :-P :-x :?: :oops: :twisted: :mrgreen: more »

 characters available