One of the core activities forming part of the NYCD’s 2013-2015 Work-plan is the facilitation a program of activities in observance of Black History Month. Black History Month is celebrated in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom and several Caribbean countries, in remembrance of important milestones, people and events in the history of the African Diaspora.
In 2014, the NYCD in partnership with the Ministry of Carib Affairs, the Kalinago Chief – Mr. Garnet Joseph and the Cultural Division shall introduce “Kalinago History Week” as a signature event forming part of Black History Month in Dominica.
The collaborating partners plan to observe ‘Kalinago History Week’ from February 10th-14th, 2014, through advocacy and educational activities, fieldtrips and civil society dialogue on the history as well as the culture of the Kalinago People.
More specifically, Kalinago History Week will feature the following activities:
- Public Message by Kalinago Chief Mr. Garnet Joseph: 10-02-14.
- Media Blitz.
- Kalinago History Week School Assembly the Castle Bruce Secondary School: 10-02-14.
- Two (2) School Based Educational Sessions on Kalinago history and culture.
- A field-trip to the Kalinago Territory including visits to the L’escalier Tete Chien and the Kalinago Barana Aute: 11-02-14.
- Kalinago History Online Quiz.
- Message by Kalinago Youth Representative Ms. Narissa Auguiste: 14-02-14.
The NYCD is therefore seeking your support in highlighting activities forming part of Kalinago History Week 2014. In that regard please find an attached copy of the Public Message from the Kalinago Chief on the occasion of “Kalinago History Week 2014” as well as a Promotional Poster for your consideration.
For further information please consider the following contact information:
|Nadege Roach||1st Vice President|
|Delroy Williams||General Secretary|
|Felicia Pierre||Pulicity Coordinator|
|Narissa Auguiste||Kalinago Youth Rep.|