Former Mayor of Roseau, Cecil Joseph, seems to be placing the unrest now enveloping Venezuela squarely at the feet of the United States.
According to Joseph there is evidence of the US’ “works” in Angola, Egypt, Libya and in Venezuela, there is no difference.
“So let us not say less of the United States that what we are now witnessing in Venezeula and other parts of the world …. it is the work of the United States,” he said during a special ceremony held to show Dominica’s solidarity with the government of Venezeula earlier this week. “Let us call a man as it is, he is a man and he is a beast…”
He is calling on president Barack Obama to condemn the wrongful doing of “people who figure out that they need their way in Venezuela.”
“I would like to call on the civilized administration of Mr. Obama, if he believes in freedom of people, if he believes in the establishment of organizations and if he believes in the existence of any country that he should condemn what is now happening in Venezuela,” Joseph stated. “Venezuela at this time has a government that is elected by the people and the government will remain there until the people of Venezuela say so.”
He also made a call to other “civilized governments” of the world to encourage the United States to condemn what is going on in the South American country.
Joseph said when Dominica gained independence in 1979, Venezuela was one of the first countries to establish bi-lateral relations. “And we have seen the Venezuelan government has always been loyal to us, this is an opportunity to show loyalty to them,” he said.
Venezuela is presently being rocked by unrest which began with protests, led by students, earlier this month. They are demanding better security, an end to goods shortages, protected freedom of speech and are condemning president Nicholas Maduro’s handling of the inflation-plagued economy.
As the demonstrations gained popularity the opposition joined in and government officials pointed fingers at other factors and accused the US of plotting to destabilize the government.
The demonstrations gained world-wide attention on February 12 when three protesters were killed by vigilantes on motorcycles.
On Wednesday a former beauty queen was killed in the protests, becoming the most high profile casualty of the unrest.
Meanwhile the US State Department has brushed aside the accusation that the US government is plotting to destabilize Venezuela.
“The allegation that the United States is helping to organise protesters in Venezuela is baseless and false. We support human rights and fundamental freedoms – including freedom of expression and of peaceful assembly – in Venezuela as we do in countries around the world,” spokeswoman Jan Psaki said.
The Venezuelan government has expelled three US diplomats this week, accusing them of recruiting students to protest.
Washington said on Wednesday it was considering doing the same.
Media reports indicate tension has reached ‘boiling point’ after opposition leader, Leopoldo Lopez, was arrested.