Dr. Donald C. Peters, President of the Dominica State College and former CEO of West Indies Cricket Board, has been elected as Chairman of the OECS Tourism and Hospitality Task Force.
The OECS Task Force was created by the Tourism Ministers of the OECS and the Task Force Terms of Reference includes:
• Upgrading tourism and hospitality education curricula and skills in the OECS, and formulating industry-recognised competency standards and certification procedures that would lead to mutual recognition of skills and qualifications obtained in the OECS region and wider articulation within the CSME; and
• Establishing an integrated and strengthened hospitality and tourism training system in the OECS, involving the Hospitality and tourism Training Institutes in each of the OECS Member States where they are located, so as to improve the quality and scope of tertiary education and vocational training in hospitality and tourism training in hospitality and tourism across the entire OECS.
The Task Force shall be responsible for:
* Providing policy guidance and direction on the most expedient and effective approach that should be adopted by the OECS region to addressing the issues relating to Human Resource Development in tourism and hospitality;
* Advising on and assist in the further conceptualization and articulation of requirements to guide the establishment of the OECS Centre of Excellence in Tourism and Hospitality Training, with a view to improving the tertiary education and vocational training system for tourism and hospitality in the OECS; and
* Monitoring the process of establishing the OECS Centre of Excellence in Tourism and Hospitality Training to ensure conformity with plans and objectives.
Dr. Donald Peters said he is honoured to be working with such a talented group of professionals from the OECS countries and hopes to reach mutually acceptable outcomes for tourism education and training in the region.
The inaugural meeting was held in St. Lucia on August 25, 2010 and was chaired by Mr. Rodinald Soomer, Head of Macro-economic and Sectoral Policy Unit, OECS Secretariat.