UPDATE: Two boys charged with intent to murder Dominican teen in Antigua

Azoo while in the ICU in an Antiguan hospital. He has since been moved to the ward

Two of the five boys involved in the attack on the Dominican teen living in Antigua and Barbuda have been charged with wounding with intent to murder.

The police spokesman in St Johns Inspector Frankie Thomas confirmed the charge last night.

Seventeen-year-old Azoo has been fighting for his life at the Mount St. John’s Medical Centre after being attacked by boys under the age of 18 in Grays Farm.

Since the charge falls under Schedule III of the Child Justice Act 2015, the duo was being held without bail up to last night, and they will remain in custody at least until they apply for bail before the High Court.

According to the law, in Antigua and Barbuda, Child Justice Board does not have the power to issue bail or release the boys into the custody of their parents, except in instances where the offences fall under Schedule I or II. If or when the boys are granted bail, another issue arises, because the law recommends that they be held in a safe house, but there is no such facility in Antigua and Barbuda, according to the source.

Meantime, Azoo has undergone surgery and is still recovering at the hospital. He is no longer in the ICU. He was moved to the ward on Sunday.

Acting Police Commissioner in St. Johns, Atley Rodney told reporters that the police interviewed Azoo and “he is speaking”.

He also said that the situation that led to Azoo being battered into a coma was neither a mugging nor a robbery as was widely reported in the media (and added that he should have corrected the information).

Instead, Rodney reported, the situation was a fight among several young persons that escalated until it got out of hand.

Disclaimer: The comments on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of DominicaNewsOnline.com/Duravision Inc. All comments are approved by DominicaNewsOnline.com before they are posted. We never censor based on political or ideological points of view, but we do try to maintain a sensible balance between free speech and responsible moderating.

We will delete comments that:

  • violate or infringe the rights of any person, are defamatory or harassing or include personal attacks
  • are abusive, profane or offensive
  • contain material which violates or encourages others to violate any applicable law
  • promote hatred of any kind
  • refer to people arrested or charged with a crime as though they had been found guilty
  • contain links to "chain letters", pornographic or obscene movies or graphic images
  • are excessively long and off-message

See our full comment/user policy/agreement.

3 Comments

  1. September 16, 2019

    This should be a non-bailable offence. We will be watching. I hope the youth recovers, and is able to go back to living a normal life.

  2. Ibo France
    September 16, 2019

    I just want justice to prevail. This sort of senseless violence is unacceptable in a ycivilized society. All five, if found guilty as charged should spend a lengthy time behind bars for such heartless and cruel actions.

  3. Danziger
    September 16, 2019

    Come back home my boy, home sweet home. May the good lord heal you from yr pain speedy recovery.

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

:) :-D :wink: :( 8-O :lol: :-| :cry: 8) :-? :-P :-x :?: :oops: :twisted: :mrgreen: more »

 characters available