THE GOVERNMENT OF THE COMMONWEALTH OF DOMINICA PUBLIC SERVICE
Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons, for employment, in the positions of:
- Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Education, Human Resource Planning, Vocational Training and National Excellence
- Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Culture, Youth, Sports and Community Development
Under the general direction of the Minister and the supervision of the Secretary to the Cabinet, the Permanent Secretaryleads and guides the overall strategy, policy direction and operations for the Ministry and collaborates with its Departments/Agencies on Ministry-wide objectives, goals, and targets, in furtherance of the Ministry’s mandate.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides evidence-based technical, administrative, and financial advice and support to the Minister to enable policy planning, formulation, and implementation to assure programme execution in accordance with established protocols, procedures, and legislative guidelines, by:
- Researching and drafting briefs, policy, position papers and proposals for ministerial review.
- Overseeing the implementation of Cabinet decisions, policies, and legislation.
- Leads and guides the overall strategy, policy direction and operations for the Ministry and collaborates with its Departments/Agencies on Ministry-wide objectives, goals and targets working closely with the Line Minister and Heads of Divisions, in furtherance of the Ministry’s mandate, by:
- Managing the coordinated implementation of plans, programmes and projects within the Ministry or its Departments and Agencies.
- Monitoring, evaluating, and reporting on the implementation of plans, programmes and projects and the achievement of service objectives.
- Manages the human resources and internal processes to ensure efficiency of operations within the defined framework of the Public Service Commission Regulations and other relevant legislation.
- Manages the financial and other resources allocated to the Ministry for its efficient and effective operations, by performing the accounting responsibilities of the Ministry in accordance with Finance and Audit Regulations and Financial Stores Regulations.
- Organizes and coordinates, monitors and evaluates the implementation of programme activities, policies, and directives to ensure the effective and efficient operation of the Ministry, by:
- Collaborating with other Government departments to facilitate programme implementation and offering support to other Permanent Secretaries
- Attending and participating in meetings of the Committee of Permanent Secretaries and other Public Sector committees.
- Conducting meetings with managers, and technical officers.
- Manages statutory and oversight responsibilities to assure congruence and alignment with the legislative agenda of the Government and the portfolio of the Ministry by administering all laws, rules and regulations related to Ministry portfolio, including the administration of any legal and/or policy instrument in force, and discharge oversight functions of statutory bodies as prescribed by the relevant legislation.
- Leads high-quality communication and stakeholder relations for the Ministry to ingrain and deepen partnerships with stakeholders that contribute to sustained effective and efficient public services.
- Provides support to the Minister in executing his/her Parliamentary function.
- Performs a variety of other duties to include:
- Attending/chairing various Ministry related and other public functions.
- Meeting with various individuals and groups to discuss and inform on relevantissues.
- Providing information to the public through the media and in keeping with government policies.
- Overseeing the management of events.
- Performing assigned duties in keeping with the National Disaster Plan.
- Knowledge of the policies, procedures, and laws of the Public Service.
- Knowledge of the Laws and Constitution of the Commonwealth of Dominica.
- Knowledge of Accounting Procedures and Budgets.
- Competence in Human Resource Management, monitoring, evaluation, and performance assessment skills.
- Ability to think strategically and to effectively manage public resources.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Skills in Project Management, writing reportsand project proposals.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- A Master’s Degree in Public Sector Management or relevant field; and
- Eight (8) yearsof experience in a Senior Managerial position
Applications, along with supporting documents, under confidential cover, inclusive of a Curriculum Vitae, two references and copies of the relevant academic qualifications should be addressed to:
Attention: The Secretary to the Cabinet
Financial Center – 6th Floor
Roseau, Commonwealth of Dominica
OR emailed to: [email protected]
The deadline for receipt of applications is Monday,August 31st, 2023.