The government of Dominica has announced an island wide curfew from midnight on Wednesday Sept 12 to noon on Friday 14th September to coincide with the passage of Tropical Storm Isaac which is expected to reach the island early Thursday morning.
Minister for National Security, Rayburn Blackmoore, made the announcement at about 5:40 pm on Wednesday at a press briefing held by the National Emergency Planning Organization (NEPO).
Blackmoore said that the freedom of movement of citizens notwithstanding, the curfew was necessary to ensure the safety of the citizenry.
He said measures had been put in place to ensure that members of the essential services who had to work would be allowed to function “unimpeded.”
Those persons, along with others who had valid reasons to be out doors during the curfew hours, will be provided with special passes to facilitate their movement.
“So, in that regard therefore, if you do not belong to the essential services and you do not have a curfew pass, please stay indoors,” Blackmoore advised.