Jah Cure to remain on WCMF line up

There has been a call to replace Jah Cure at the festival
There has been a call to replace Jah Cure at the festival

Marketing Assistant for the World Creole Music Festival (WCMF) Leroy “Wadix” Charles is questioning the call for reggae superstar, Jamaican Jah Cure, to be replaced in the 18th edition of the festival.

Addressing the second WCMF press conference at the Dominica Festivals Committee (DFC) on Tuesday, Charles pointed out that the artiste has in the past performed in Dominica.

“I can state categorically that right after this incident, I know Jah Cure came to the Krazy Koconuts and I know Jah Cure came to the festival,” he said. “So I’m not sure if it was an issue then and why is it an issue now.”

Recently independent candidate in the upcoming general election for Portsmouth, Cabral Douglas, said Jah Cure should be replaced because he served eight years of a 15-year sentence on two counts of rape, weapons possession and armed robbery.

Douglas referred to the matter as “insensitive and a slap in the face quite frankly to all rape victims to provide a platform here in Dominica to a man who has been denied entry into most countries, who are serious about protecting their woman from convicted sexual predators.”

He also called on all interested persons to let their voices be heard on the matter.

But Charles said that Jah Cure, whose real name is Siccature Alcock, was chosen based on popularity among the Dancehall DJ’s, radio announcers and music shops, noting that they were consulted before narrowing the field down to who he DFC could afford.

“There are acts that we would like but we can’t afford,” Charles noted. “Jah Cure was one of those artistes that were very current in the minds of the people …that’s why he was chosen.”

When asked whether the possibility exists that Jah Cure could be replaced, Charles said that there are “contractual arrangements,” that have to be adhered too.

“As far as I am aware of his bio, he performed here three times after that. So that would be left to the superiors to decide,” Charles said. “I can only suggest that all the comments be taken in good strides and will meet at the appropriate time and decide whether he deserves any action.”

Meanwhile, Charles said the DFC was unable to secure Nigerian group, P Square, for the festival because an increased subvention from the government was not possible and the DFC simply could not afford it.

He stated that P Square is presently valued at $200,000 for performance fee, excluding first class air fare to Dominica.

“An increase in subvention could possibly assist us,” he noted. “But unfortunately because of the global financial depression and the way it is in Dominica and there are other priorities, we were told that at least not for this year.”

He stated that the St. Lucia Jazz Festival was able to afford the Nigerian group because that festival “is slightly different from ours.”

“Over 10 years ago I know the government (of St Lucia) was giving them (the St. Lucia Jazz Festival) $5-million, and our subvention is less than a million,” he stated. “So we can see the disparity between what we can afford and what we can’t afford.”

 

 

Disclaimer: The comments on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of DominicaNewsOnline.com/Duravision Inc. All comments are approved by DominicaNewsOnline.com before they are posted. We never censor based on political or ideological points of view, but we do try to maintain a sensible balance between free speech and responsible moderating.

We will delete comments that:

  • violate or infringe the rights of any person, are defamatory or harassing or include personal attacks
  • a reasonable person would consider abusive or profane
  • contain material which violates or encourages others to violate any applicable law
  • promote hatred of any kind
  • refer to people arrested or charged with a crime as though they had been found guilty
  • contain links to "chain letters", pornographic or obscene movies or graphic images
  • are excessively long and off-topic

See our full comment/user policy/agreement.

33 Comments

  1. Morihei Ueshiba
    July 30, 2014

    Bring back Tommy Lee

  2. JAH Fire
    July 30, 2014

    Convicted this! Convicted that! All you should be more concerned that the government can give away money to all other institutions of non-relevance but cant find the money to spend on an event they call “Flag ship” why can’t the Government get involved to give us Nasio…….We have Government ministers accused of rape and some of all you on here in all you LABAR Blinders put the rug infront all you eyes so you all will continue to reap meager benifits of “NO SHAME” and not it suits you all, all you out here on DNO bawling “Convicted Jamaican Artiste”

    Stupes…ALL you too wicked……

    JAH FIRE

  3. Brave Hart
    July 30, 2014

    Convicted rapists should not be allowed to perform on any show. DFC should show respect for women and get Jah Cure of the festival. Get artists with dignity that respect people.

    • #IJustsaying
      July 31, 2014

      Jah Cure is a changed man. Everyone deserves a second chance and the guy has performed here about 3 times. So I don’t see the point of the conflict at present. :-?

  4. Anonymous
    July 30, 2014

    Over the years

  5. Shout out
    July 30, 2014

    Who vex boss. Jah cure me seh. He is a dam good performer and this is all we need. People want to look at his personal life and decide wether he should come to Dominica? Quite frankly, if we knew the true lives and action of all artists some of us would not even be listening to music. Who for Dominicans to look into they don’t. Our first step is to make all the accused men in Dominica serve some time for that exact crime and the sexual crimes against minors. Instead they are going after a man that committed a crime and served his 8 years for that said crime……. Boi awa wi.

  6. Dominican
    July 30, 2014

    Dominicans why don’t you all form a commitee and be stake holders in that way you would benfit financially and any group that we need would come to DA.
    what do you think would happen if we boycotted the show this is one of DA’s most attraction if that did happen DA would coolay so think of what you guys are saying.

  7. July 29, 2014

    Please show our young stars good example, do not allow Jah cure come to Dominica to perform these crimes he committed are terrified, you mean he’s only artist in Jamaica? Or it seems to me he’s the cheapest artist available in Jamaica.

  8. Anonymous
    July 29, 2014

    Jah cure again then…he doh tired come!nexxt

  9. July 29, 2014

    The money allu would have to pay jah cure , save it to afford P-Square . WCMF getting boring year by year .

    • Shout out
      July 30, 2014

      How dumb are you people. Do you know what is $200’000.00 for 1 act. Seriously? How do you suggest they pay for the other performers? That money can pay for at least 3 acts. Psquare pocket is much to hot pal.

      • Really unbelievable
        July 30, 2014

        what is worst still is that P Square is not worth the money I saw them live and they were a huge disappointment. Some artists cannot perform live and this is the case with P Square. Do not waste money on them. I like their music but live, no way.

  10. Nostalgia
    July 29, 2014

    What’s all the hoopla about??? Too much TALK and no ACTION.
    Rise up Dominicans. Show them all you mean business by boycotting the show. ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER THAN WORDS.
    Please stop the talk time to ACT.

  11. kit
    July 29, 2014

    Let the gut perform..he is a very talented guy and he has many fans in DA..Dominicans to dam HYPOCRITE!! The so called Christians always there to object..

  12. Jo !
    July 29, 2014

    Bring Jah Cure, bring who ever all you want but put
    IBIS LAWRENCE on the Line up ! He is a son of the soil do great thing out there, representing Dominica since th 80s.

  13. July 29, 2014

    My piece. You don’t like the artist, then boycott the show by not going. Don’t know much about the man, but his profile is not inviting. Now do not think I am discriminating the man because of his locks. I am a teacher AND LOVE MY LOCKS

  14. Anonymous
    July 29, 2014

    The call is being made for him to be replaced as the HEADLINE ACT. The issue is not dealing with his past performances or not in DA. The question concerning if he remains on the line-up is a completely different issue… to be dealt with by DFC.

  15. KoKo Naughts
    July 29, 2014

    Bon Diay, by de time P Square reach Dominica they will just be One P wii. Hope I still alive wii, cause I in dat! Chop my moneyyyy….

  16. eyes open wide
    July 29, 2014

    u all could have givin nasio a chance this year ,seein Jah Cure was here 3 years ago come on stop down pressing our artist them :oops:

  17. OVERSEAS
    July 29, 2014

    Love his music. “I in Dat”.

  18. Gods Child
    July 29, 2014

    What a shame!! Where is the outrage!!! Where is the protest..

  19. justice
    July 29, 2014

    Let the man perform. We need to stop this before people start to believe is something we have against Jamaican artists. The man was here before is nothing new!

  20. July 29, 2014

    the things we do for money and fame :!: It is a big shame…
    we are betraying what we stand for for 30 pieces of silver.
    shame on we dominicans..
    When the bishop took his 30 pieces of silver, he did so because he saw others doing it. Now the legacy is if the bishop can do it, so can i.
    we have a broken and corrupt system where wrong is right and right is wrong !

  21. #NoJahCure
    July 29, 2014

    Just read what a brutal crime this guy committed and then tell me why we have him coming to our country?

    • Yes Fada!
      July 31, 2014

      Maybe u should start a petition…cause I don’t understand, is like all of a sudden y’all know Jah Cure was convicted of rape. Not even the courts could prove his case beyond a reasonable doubt – and no, I am not saying he is innocent … it’s just that there were loopholes n technicalities associated to it. So Jah Cure served his time, 8 years, n have been on a drive to promote positivity through his music ever since. Hence the reason why he has become so popular, despite his misgivings n distasteful past, and his selection once again on the WCMF lineup is to give patrons their money’s worth of good music. Tell me now, is something wrong with that? Like, seriously.

  22. #NoJahCure
    July 29, 2014
    • Derryck
      July 30, 2014

      After reading the info on this link. I would advise Wadix to to the same. Now I can understand why some people are not too pleased with this Jah Cure fellow heading the festival.

  23. Doc. Love
    July 29, 2014

    A religious organization can be given $500, 000, a certain business man can also be given $500,000, the red clinic budget over $1 million, but they cannot find $200,000 for the entertainment of the youth etc. The UWP did not think twice about spending money when the Creole Festival was created. In order to make money, you must spend money, but again, what does this Government know about spending money in the right areas. That is why, change is absolutely, positively, unmistakably a must.

  24. hypocrisy
    July 29, 2014

    Wadix

    So what you saying is that in your desperation to pull a crowd and make your money back your only option is to hire a convicted rapist from Jamaica to headline the WCMF…? A man who banned from performing in most countries such as Canada, the US, and England….???At a time when the crime of rape has been on the rise in Dominica, we are now happy to send our daughters to jump behind a man who served 8 years in jail for rape and armed robbery – now if that is not a shameful expression of hypocrisy then
    I do not know what is….

  25. grell
    July 29, 2014

    Wadix,we get all this crappy jamaican artist to dominica,trash that other counties refuse you alll accept in dominica,we have an international artist here in Dominica,Nasio and you bring in this jamaican thug,i for sure wont be attending,dominica has become the dump site of the caribbean.We have all these educated nationals and they just sit back and let our country go astray.Shame on you people,and WADIX keep on making your money.

  26. Calibishi Warrior
    July 29, 2014

    Nothing has changed… but that is not the point . The man is a convicted rapist ..a crime for which he has shown absolutely no remorse or atonement to the victim he scarred for life. He should never have been invited in the first place ..His coming here was a mistake the first time round ..a mistake that should not be repeated. In a society where violence against women and girls is a rising scourge , we should be sending out a clear message .. We will not tolerate or condone sexual violence. Jah Cure is still banned from entering the US or the UK and we should follow suit. It is not as if there are not more than adequate alternatives.

    • foxy
      July 29, 2014

      concur fully….but Dominica is a double standard island, extremely lacking in values at all levels..

      when u hear the hypocrites call about abuse of victims don’t even pay attention to their call in Dominica..

      Dominica are basically a sellout..they will sell their own bros and sis to keep corruption glowing..

      it’s a island with majority of folks clouded and foolish to the core you won’t imagine…

      don’t you see they rated as the poorest in the eastern caribbean, what does that tell on them..

      • #NoJahCure
        July 29, 2014

        Why was my comments Deleted?? This link below it to a new paper article form The Jamiaca Gleaner, it is one of the most respected news paper in Jamaica. The articles gives the victim’s account of Jah Cure’s Crime. A crime he was found guilty of and sent to prison.. Why delete the post?

        http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20050828/lead/lead2.html

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

:) :-D :wink: :( 8-O :lol: :-| :cry: 8) :-? :-P :-x :?: :oops: :twisted: :mrgreen: more »

 characters available