PRESS RELEASE: The Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sports will hold its 4th Annual National Sports Awards Ceremony on Wednesday April 21, 2010at 7:00 pm (TODAY) at the Fort Young Hotel in Roseau, under the theme “Supporting community building and sporting excellence.”
Sports personalities and sports organisations that excelled in 2009 have been nominated for recognition during the awards ceremony.
The nominees will be vying for awards in the following categories:
– Sports Woman of the Year – Sports Man of the Year
– Club of the Year – Most Valuable Player (male/female as appropriate)
– Association of the Year – Coach of the Year
– PE/Sports Teacher of the Year – Sports Committee of the Year
– Sports Commentator of the Year – Groundsman of the Year
– Sports Reporter of the Year – Official (umpire/referee) of the Year
– Special Olympics Athlete of the Year – Physically Challenged Athlete of the Year
– Male Youth Athlete of the Year – Female Youth Athlete of the Year
– School of the Year in Sports
Some thirty (30) nominations from national sports associations and other sporting organisations have been received by the Sports Division. A panel of judges appointed by the Sports Division analyzed the submissions for determining the top nominees and eventual winners in all but one category, the Most Valuable Player per sporting discipline, which has been chosen by the sports associations.
The Ministry congratulates all the nominees and extends special thanks to Springfield Trading, First Caribbean International Bank, Fort Young Hotel, Kairi Fm and DBS Radio for providing some level of sponsorship for the event.
The objectives of the National Sports Awards are to raise the profile of sports in Dominica, elevate standards in performance and bring into focus the importance of strong, well-structured organisations and good governance in sport.
– Sports Division